Vedema Resort is committed to do more, consume less and care for our planet.
We have started our journey towards environmental sustainability with the Starwood Green Program. We work on minimizing and reducing waste and emissions, examining the supply chain and enhancing indoor environmental quality. We want to improve our environmental performance by implementing efficient usage of energy, use renewable resources, invest in water conservation and prefer environmental-friendly suppliers.
We undertake this significant project, while maintaining the exceptional guest experiences that we so proudly deliver.
We place tremendous value in our indigenous surroundings and our involvement in local area restoration, preservation and beautification projects. We ensure that the unique travel experience is kept alive for our guests, associates, families and communities.
We know we can do more by:
- Reducing lighting energy consumption through the replacement of conventional light bulbs, indoors and out, with high light bulbs.
- Recycling paper, aluminum, glass and plastic
- Recycling cooking and used oil into biofuel
- Recycling used appliances and ink cartridge
- Recycling batteries and light bulbs
- Increasing the use of recycled paper
- Reducing the use of plastic
- Introducing pilot composting for organic waste from the gardens and the kitchen
Help us by implying a Greener vacation:
1. Try not to waste water - don’t leave the tap running when you’re brushing your teeth and perhaps take a shower instead of a bath.
2. Hand in your old batteries to reception, along with any small used appliances that you no longer need, which can be recycled.
3. If you don't feel it is necessary to change your towels and sheets every day, please leave them in the bathtub and place the green card on your bed. We will know that you want to conserve.
4. Raise the temperature setting on the air-conditioning unit or lower the setting on the heating unit by a couple of degrees - you’ll hardly notice the difference, but the energy saving is significant.
5. Use a natural, biodegradable sun protection product as scientists believe the death of various different marine organisms is due to the 4,000-6,000 tons of sun protection products coming off swimmers into the sea each year. Also remember to apply your sun cream 30 minutes before going out into the sun, re-apply every 45 minutes and always wear a hat.
6. Let us know what you think we could be doing better. Your feedback is critical in order for us to further improve upon our environmental performance